Friday, April 24, 2009

Bending Bows ......

It seems like it's been a long time since I updated this blog. I have made some progress, but building the new top is slow work (for me, anyway !!!). Additionally, there have been several other things going on that have taken up some of my time.

The outer frame of the top is complete, assembled and sanded. Here're a couple pictures of just the frame sitting on top of the cab.

Now I'm working on the curved bows that go across from right to left. Each one has to be curved differently. The process I'm using is to soak the bows one at a time, then place them on a simple jig that holds them to the correct amount of curve while they dry. The back one is done and in place on the frame, and the front one is on the jig drying while number three is soaking. Here's a picture of the jig with a bow in place.

and here's one showing a bow being soaked (in the pipe, which is full of water), while another one dries on the jig.
I'm also doing some work on the bed. I've removed some of the metal parts and have been sandblasting them. Here's a small sample of what they look like after blasting.

That's it for now. I'm hoping to have the wood part of the top all assembled and be started finishing it by the end of next week.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Decision Made .....

Well, after looking at the old top and doing some research, I've decided to rebuild the top of the Model T using new wood. I found plans for doing that on the Internet from a fellow in California that has done it. He included measurements for all the wood pieces. I emailed him with some questions and he responded with some suggestions. Thanks, Bob !!!! We're going to Farmington tomorrow for Galena's appointment with the chiropractor, so I'll see if I can find some oak to use at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Here're a couple of pictures of the old top ...

It looks like this week is shaping up to be pretty busy. Galena's off work Thursday, Friday and Monday, and we've already got Thursday, Saturday, and Monday filled up with errands, etc. Also, we're going to Karen and Ronney's Sunday afternoon, and I need to take the bike to Farmington for the 1000 mile service. I'm not sure how we will fit all that in !!!

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Looking Better !!!

This week I finished installing the hood, the windshields, the back glass, the doors and the headlights. The hood still doesn't fit as good as I would like, and I can't get the movable portion of the windshield to go completely closed, but I'll work on them more later. Here are some pictures of it as it looks now....
These first two are outside the garage. I try to take it for a short drive every day so the engine will get broken in.

This is a front view inside the garage....

and this is Sophiah after a hard day of hunting mice (or maybe just lying around the house).

Next week's project is to work on the top. I'll get it down tomorrow so I can assess what I need to do to the wood. I have new padding and top material to put on it waiting. I'm hoping I can use at least the main wood parts by sanding and painting them.