It seems like it's been a long time since I updated this blog. I have made some progress, but building the new top is slow work (for me, anyway !!!). Additionally, there have been several other things going on that have taken up some of my time.
The outer frame of the top is complete, assembled and sanded. Here're a couple pictures of just the frame sitting on top of the cab.
Now I'm working on the curved bows that go across from right to left. Each one has to be curved differently. The process I'm using is to soak the bows one at a time, then place them on a simple jig that holds them to the correct amount of curve while they dry. The back one is done and in place on the frame, and the front one is on the jig drying while number three is soaking. Here's a picture of the jig with a bow in place.
and here's one showing a bow being soaked (in the pipe, which is full of water), while another one dries on the jig.
I'm also doing some work on the bed. I've removed some of the metal parts and have been sandblasting them. Here's a small sample of what they look like after blasting.
That's it for now. I'm hoping to have the wood part of the top all assembled and be started finishing it by the end of next week.
Dear Evangeline (4 Years)
2 months ago