Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Bed Frame is (mostly) Complete .....

The main supports for the bed are bolted in place, and the cross supports are nearly done. They need one more coat of finish before I can install them. Here're a couple of pictures:

The next step is to cut the pieces for the floor to width, plane them to the proper thickness, then mill tongues and grooves into the edges. After that I'll finish them, then screw them to the cross pieces. I'm not sure if I'll get all that done this week or not. I need a few more boards, which I plan to pick up on Tuesday.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Building a new bed...

This week I started working on the new bed. So far I've cut the boards for the main beams and the four cross supports and planed them to size. The next step is to make the final cuts to shape and drill the holes for the bolts that hold the frame together. Here's a picture of the main beams and the 2x4s that will make the supports.

and here's a picture of the old main beams and one of the original cross supports that I'm using as patterns for the new ones.
Next week's project is to finish these pieces and install them on the truck frame so I can build the floor of the bed on them.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Major Step Complete !!!

Today I finished installing the new top. It seems like it took a long time, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I have a few pictures I took along the way. The first two are of the bottom layer of muslin from the inside, then from the outside.

The next layer was chicken wire, but the picture didn't turn out. After that was a layer of foam rubber.

Then I draped the final layer over the top and parked it in the sun to warm up for a while.

The final step was to tack on the molding that covers the staples to finish it off.

The new floorboards are also in place now.

I thought I'd throw in a picture of my new center pivot irrigation system, too.

That's it for now. I struck out last Friday on wood to rebuild the bed. However, I talked to a friend who told me about another source that he uses, so I'm going back this Friday to see what I can find, and to get a haircut, which I need in the worst way.

Friday, May 1, 2009

First round of carpentry is done

I finished the wood work on the top this afternoon. Next, I'll put on three coats of the same finish I used on the spokes, then see how good I am at upholstery. Here's a picture of the top as it looks now.

And here's what it looks like sitting on the cab...

I've been having trouble finding new round head and bevel head slotted screws. All the hardware and home supply stores seem to have only phillips head screws. Next week I'm going to Albuquerque to check at a fastener supply store, and to see if I can find a source for the wood to rebuild the bed. I received the new floorboards this week, so need to finish them and put them in, as well as install a battery box. So far the battery is sitting on the floor on the passenger side of the cab. In addition, I'm still working on cleaning up the metal parts of the bed, so there's plenty to do.