Wednesday, September 16, 2009

And There Was Light ....

Today I managed to get the headlights working. I decided to run them off the battery instead of the magneto, as I couldn't find anywhere to get bulbs to run them off the mag. Also, the replacement switch is wired to use the battery. I still need to figure out how to get the headlights to dim. Right now the lights are bright regardless of which position the switch is in. I figure that's a minor detail. Here's a picture with the lights on.

I've been working on replacing the oilers on the suspension and steering, but ran into a problem with the small ones on the spring shackles. The ones I ordered that are supposed to fit are too big to go in the holes. It seems to be another of those instances where the reproduction parts don't quite fit correctly. I've run into that with several other parts, too. A couple of times I've had to give up on the replacements and make the part from scratch, but don't think I can do that with the oilers. At least it's not a major problem.

The next step is to see how easy it is to load it in the trailer and take it for a short trip to see how it pulls. I'm not sure when I'll get that done. I've got several chores that need to be done before it starts snowing, so those will come first.

The next major project is to build a second set of side boards to go on top of the ones I built. It will probably be a while before I tackle that. I did find a picture of a 1926 TT with a grain bed, complete with the second sideboards and endgate. The endgate looks to be just as Dad remembered it. Here's the picture I found ...

Monday, September 7, 2009

Blurry Vision, Floats That Don't and an Other Stuff ...

It's been a long time since I updated this blog. My detached retina is healing nicely. I still have some of the gas bubble in my eye, which is frustrating. It was supposed to take around four weeks to disappear. Yesterday was eight weeks and it's still not gone. I did get to come home after four weeks, though. I'm still on medication to keep the pressure down at this elevation. Most of my vision appears to be returning ok, but I'll have to have a new prescription to adjust to the change made by the detached retina. That can't happen until the bubble is all gone. Meanwhile, the vision in my right eye is pretty blurry.

Ronney and Karen were kind enough to go to Aztec to pick up the trailer for the Model T. I haven't loaded it in the trailer yet, but it should work fine.

The day after I came home from Albuquerque I took the Model T out for a short drive, then parked it in the garage. The next morning all the fuel had run out on the floor. Luckily, it only had a gallon or so in it. I fiddled with the carburetor, but to no avail. Fuel kept running out. I removed the carburetor and cleaned the float valve, thinking that there had to be some foreign material in it that was not letting it close. When I put it back on, still the same problem. After a lot of head scratching, I finally figured out that the float was full of fuel. This was on a newly rebuilt carburetor! I called the supplier and they sent me a new float. It seems that their rebuilder uses the old floats when rebuilding them. After receiving and installing the new float everything's fine again. Now I'm working on the headlights. I have them all rewired, but am going to have to order new bulbs from one of the parts suppliers.

Ronney, Karen and kids stopped by this afternoon on their way home from camping this weekend. I gave them all a ride in the Model T, so have some pictures of that.

Here're Rylee and Chase ...

And Karen ....

And Ronney.

I tried to get Ronney to drive it, but he said he isn't ready just yet.

Galena and I went over to Jemez Springs, then on up to Bandelier National Park yesterday. On the way, we stopped at the Valles Caldera and I took this picture of her by one of the signs. That's really some beautiful country.