Wednesday, September 16, 2009

And There Was Light ....

Today I managed to get the headlights working. I decided to run them off the battery instead of the magneto, as I couldn't find anywhere to get bulbs to run them off the mag. Also, the replacement switch is wired to use the battery. I still need to figure out how to get the headlights to dim. Right now the lights are bright regardless of which position the switch is in. I figure that's a minor detail. Here's a picture with the lights on.

I've been working on replacing the oilers on the suspension and steering, but ran into a problem with the small ones on the spring shackles. The ones I ordered that are supposed to fit are too big to go in the holes. It seems to be another of those instances where the reproduction parts don't quite fit correctly. I've run into that with several other parts, too. A couple of times I've had to give up on the replacements and make the part from scratch, but don't think I can do that with the oilers. At least it's not a major problem.

The next step is to see how easy it is to load it in the trailer and take it for a short trip to see how it pulls. I'm not sure when I'll get that done. I've got several chores that need to be done before it starts snowing, so those will come first.

The next major project is to build a second set of side boards to go on top of the ones I built. It will probably be a while before I tackle that. I did find a picture of a 1926 TT with a grain bed, complete with the second sideboards and endgate. The endgate looks to be just as Dad remembered it. Here's the picture I found ...

1 comment:

  1. The lights sure look good and also very bright to the camera anyway.It makes old Grandpa feel good to see the grain bed picture of the bottom endgate like I dreamed it to look. I think there used to be some of those oilers in one of those shop drawers but don't suppose they are still around. I will take a look for them. Thanks for the progress report and pictures.