Friday, March 20, 2009

It Lives ! ! ! !

Rossi came up this morning, and after installing the bendix cover and a little fiddling with various things, it fired up. It took a little doing, but with his knowledge of Model Ts and my mostly watching him work, the engine smoothed out and began to purr. We tightened up the screws and bolts to stop the worst of the oil leaks, and greased the fan, which was making a lot of noise. We probably ran it on and off for an hour or so. Then we took it for a spin. He drove first to show me how it's done, then I drove it with him instructing me. After that, he left for home. I'm sure glad he came up to help me, as I would have been in trouble otherwise.

After Galena got off work, she took a couple of videos. They're really big files, so it may take a while to download them. The first one is of starting the engine.... I think I'll keep the starter. It sure makes it a lot easier to start.

And the second is of the Model T coming up the driveway.

Next week I'll work on the hood, try to fix the back of the seat, and maybe put on the fenders and running boards.


  1. Great that you had a helper that was familiar with the T. Thanks, Galena for the camera work as we sure appreciate keeping up wiith the progress. Glad our pictures of the box sideboards got through to you via E-mail as Lois hasn't made the blog accept pictures.
    Love from Dad and Lois

  2. I didn't know how to get the video part to come in until
    Lois came in to see what
    I was doing and showed me what to do. That really adds to the greatness of it all. Sounds like a good idea to keep the starter so Galena won't have to crank it. Hey Galena we don't want to twist your arm!!!!
    Our love from Dad and Lois

  3. Wow!!! Congratulations Dad!!! It looks really cool.

    Are you two ready to set off across country in it??? With your bike in back...of course... :0)

  4. Congrats! You know, it doesn't look like you have a lot of leg room in there. Maybe a long road trip to Leoti is out of the question?